Re: Advice needed

Daniel Sokolow wrote:

> One possibility is to treat the collection _information_ the way you might treat
> a _collection_.  That is, just like you have restrictions on access to a
> particular collection, why not keep the information about the collection
> restricted.  There's no need for anyone's name to be mentioned, it seems that it
> would be safer not to, so why stir up a hornet's nest?

I keep "administrative" information about the collection separate from the
collection (you should have seen the raised eyebrows when I began doing this when I
first got here...).  Letters from donors/potential donors, physical ownership and
intellectual ownership, etc. (This stuff was not included in deeds of gift until I
arrived and I've made court house trips for copies of wills in some cases to fill in
gaps.)  And occasionally a clipping about the donation's publicity makes it way into
this file.  Over the last two years one file has accumulated a _significant_
thickness due to the extremely litigious destruction of a home of an individual
whose papers are here.  There's a _very_ interesting story behind that one, and yes,
I was subpoenaed as an expert witness for that case.

You should see the papers in these files.  Moreover, I would really love to see the
papers that aren't.

> Presumably the new manager is not so much of a jerk that he'd make a very public
> stink about keeping the images.

Well...

> One would hope that he wouldn't hold a grudge
> for five years, and even if he does, you have to figure that he's not going to
> be around forever, either, and you'll get a third person in the job who won't
> have any connection to it at all, and all will be well.

Guess the age of my oldest donor.  Guess how long folks have been waiting for him to
go away.

Sorry folks, I'm bummed out about missing the fun y'all will have with Friday
Funnies while I'm away.

Holly
in Chatta.