Join SAA Today - Long

Hello Friends,

I thought I would share with you this year's renewal letter for two reasons.
One, it gives you an idea of the work that SAA accomplishes on behalf of
archivists everywhere and two, because I encourage those members of the list
who are not members of the Society of American Archivists to seriously
consider joining this marvelous community.  As much that can be gained
through listservs such as this, there is much more too that can be gained
from making a commitment to the profession's national association.  The one
thing I hear more than anything else from SAA members is the deep sense of
comradery and purpose that comes from working side-by-side with archivists
from all over the country and the world.  SAA has many opportunities and
services for all levels of archivists.  If you are inspired, you may find a
membership application at http://archivists.org/membership/index.html

And now, here for your reading pleasure is the 2000 membership renewal
letter:

Dear SAA Friend,

When you joined the Society of American Archivists you made a commitment to
yourself and to the profession.  We, in turn, made a commitment to you.
Every year we strive to give you the services you need to better accomplish
your work and to give you effective representation on the national and
international stage.  By working together, we are advancing the cause of
archivists everywhere.

This year we focused on several key areas.  Continuing education and quality
workshops are central to your future.  Recognizing the need to create a top
flight education program that takes full advantage of the best minds and the
best new delivery vehicles, this year Council created a Task Force on
Continuing Education.  The task force researched the history of SAA's
continuing education program, assessed current infrastructure and capacity,
then identified areas where we need to improve and areas where we need to
seize new opportunities.  They issued an exciting report, available through
our office and on our website at: http://www.archivists.org.  I encourage
you to read it.

Based on this report, we hired a full-time webmaster and will soon hire a
new Education Director.  We now plan to develop a series of on-line course
offerings.  This will save you the time, effort, and money of traveling to
workshops and will deliver the most current archival knowledge right to
comfort of your own office or home.  At the same time, we are working to
continually improve and develop in-person workshops,  such as Encoded
Archival Description, and to offer them throughout the year and throughout
the country.

The American Archivist, now published on-schedule, continues to serve up
rich intellectual, practical, and theoretical articles to help you expand
your thinking and hone your practice.  We are especially proud of the
Spring/Summer 2000 issue, which for the first time featured colored plates
to augment the excellent article, Looking at Archives in Art, by Barbara L.
Craig and James M. O'Toole.  This is the premier journal of the profession
and only available through SAA.

You can look forward to continued improvements on our website, too.  Now
that we have a webmaster, we are devoting ever more time and thought to its
content and design so that you will have a one-stop electronic archival
resource right on your desk.  We plan to institute on-line registration and
payment for conferences and workshops, as well as the ability to purchase
publications via a secure server.  We are looking into offering Real Audio
access of selected annual meeting presentations, and more.

We are increasingly active in national and international policymaking
circles.  Our work to monitor proposed changes in copyright law, to advocate
for increased funding for the National Historical Publications and Records
Commission and the National Archives continues to be an effective component
of our public policy work.  This year SAA also received funding from The
National Commission on Libraries & Information Science to enable the Society
to participate more widely in international archival affairs, such as
advancing the work of encoded archival description and SAA's involvement in
the International Council on Archives.  Globalism cannot be ignored, SAA is
your voice as the American archival ambassador to key international fora.

These are necessarily just a few highlights for you to consider when
renewing your membership.  We know that you take your dues payment
seriously.  SAA, in turn, takes your needs and concerns seriously.   Our
commitment to you is as strong as your commitment to the profession.  Please
renew today.  Our work together is too important to ignore.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Fox
Executive Director
Society of American Archivists
527 S. Wells St., 5th Floor
Chicago, IL  60607
312-922-0140
Fax 312-347-1452
cell phone 312-617-7015
http://www.archivists.org

Join us in Washington, D.C. for our 65th Annual Meeting:
August 27 - September 2, 2001
Washington Hilton and Towers