Clarification of quotation: complain vs explain

Y'all don't get it. The SECOND part of the quotation is the one to keep in
mind. Don't explain, just tell people, "Our stuff is in closed stacks (or
in storage, or whatever you want to call it).  We will be happy to bring it
out for you to use in our reading room (or whatever conditions you impose
on its use)."

 If you act as if you know what you are doing, and as if the patron knows
what you AND himself are doing, he will generally rise to the challenge.

I might have know the attribution of the quotation would prove more
interesting than the advice itself.
Grumph!

Ethel C. Simpson
Head, Archives and Manuscripts