Re: Advice on Casters/rollers

Michael Knight wrote:

> My institution has requested I locate a vendor who can make
> casters/rollers for map flat file cases. These cases are to be moved
> to our interim storage facility while a new museum/archives is
> constructed. We have the large size Jebco cases but apparently the
> company only makes fixed bases for their cases. Does anyone have
> suggestions or contacts? I'm even considering refrigerator rollers at
> this point...Thanks,  Michael Knight Archivist Gettysburg National Military
> Park  Michael_Knight@nps.gov

Michael,

I strongly recommend NOT procuring castors to fit those cabinets/cases.  A
predecessor of mine did so and to his dismay, all of the cabinets and cases
mounted on the new castors broke riveted seams, drawer and hanger racks were
"racked" irreparable, etc.  The suggestion to use professional movers and
their dollies is the cheapest in the long run.  If you locate any
cabinet/cases that come from the manufacturer mounted on castors, you will
find a much more engineered object capable of handling the stress of uneven
push/shove and uneven flooring.

I am with an global engineering/construction company whose engineers claim
they can engineer/design any modification.  They no longer tire themselves on
such small agenda but leave it to the insured and bonded professionals.

paul tarrant
-
"All comments and opinions expressed in this message are the sole
responsibility of the
individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and should not be attributed
to any other entity living or dead."

Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
(865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA