Buggy books and materials

I tried to reply to Kevin Logan's query but his City of Lakeland system
administration refused the posting...

Back in my past life helping to manage the California State Railroad
Museum's large archival storage warehouses, we would periodically suffer the
arrival of a buggy collection of papers, periodicals and such that had
recently come out of an infested warehouse elsewhere.

Our solution was to keep the cartons on pallets, cover them with a heavy
plastic tarp (allowed to drape over the sides) under a simple wood 2x2 frame
assembled with the aid of sheetrock screws and a power drill. Beneath the
tarp went an off-the-shelf supermarket variety Raid-type bugbomb. We'd set
these off at the end of the day or on a day when we didn't need to be in the
warehouse. Definitely no live bugs left within the cartons.

I'm not sure what residual toxicity might occur with this system (which had
been established by my predecessors at CSRM). Perhaps the more passive
method using no-pest strips is still the better practice. Just food for
thought...

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives