Re: Developments at UTS

Charles, we have a lot to tell you about what's happening at Union.
The Burke Library has recently received a $1.25 million grant from
the Mellon Foundation for retrospective conversion, and an $8
million grant from the Lilly Foundation for the renewal of the Burke
Library.  This latter grant includes an allocation of $210,000 for the
Archives of Women in Theological Scholarship project, about which
I am naturally extremely happy! and of course the overall effect will
be of strengthening the library and the archives.

We have also had an influx of collection donors and promises to
donate collection this summer, which I wanted you to know about.
We have received the papers of former NCCC Chair Joan Brown
Campbell (bios contained in the grant document); theologian Letty
Russell; the National Council of Churches Justice for Women
Working Group; and former President of Hartford Seminary
Barbara Brown Zikmund. We have also received commitments to
donate from the Evangelical and Ecumenical Women's Caucus and
the personal papers of its officers Nancy Hardesty, Letha Scanzoni
and Virginia Ramey Mollencott, whcih dramatically expands our
collecting scope beyond the  Protestant Christian mainstream; and
also from the International Association of Women Ministers, which
further expands our scope in time since it is 80 years old.

I hope that this is useful to you as you go into the finals of sending
the proposal out for review. As new collections-- and possibly
grants- come in, I will be sure to let you know about them.

Best wishes. Sincerely,

Claire McCurdy
Archives
Union Theological Seminary