Re: RAIN 10/10: Who really discovered America?

In my previous two postings, I had no intention of denigrating the importance of Columbus.  His voyages were an important part of the process whereby the human race became conscious of the fact that we all live on one world.  Remember that Columbus, like those who preceded him, died unaware of that he had "discovered" new continents.
I just think that to label Columbus as the "discoverer" of America ignores that fact that there were millions of people already living in the what we now call the Americas.  I think it would be more appropriate to view 1492 as the beginning (in historical terms) of the intense period of contact between the two "worlds" previously unknown to each other.