Re: Jazz collection for NYC repository

Susie --

I'm sorry - I didn;t mean to step on your toes but your note sounded as though
USM wasn;t interested in the LP's.  If the donor or USM changes their minds
about the LP's -- the music library at Bates would be interested.  The donor can
contact me about this.

BTW -- we purchased ReDiscovery -- implementation schedule holding to a Jan/Feb
target.

-- Kurt

"Susie R. Bock" wrote:

> The donor is considering giving the LPs to USM's Music
> Department. I don't know if the donor has a preference. I'm very
> busy but fine. I just put in a session proposal for SAA and I'm
> working on one for MLA. Our building plans are in final stages. I
> have a zillion things to do, but who doesn't.
> Susie
>
> Date sent:              Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:30:24 -0400
> Send reply to:          Archives & Archivists <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
> From:                   kkuss <kkuss@BATES.EDU>
> Subject:                Re: Jazz collection for NYC repository
> To:                     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
>
> > Susie --
> >
> > The Music Dept here at Bates has a vigorous jazz program and might be
> > interested in the library acquiring the LP's.  I am forwarding this
> > message to a few people here at Bates and will be in touch with you
> > about this soon.  In the meantime he can contact me.  It would be nice
> > to keep some of the collection in Maine -- Does the donor want the
> > LP's to be part of Special Collections or part of a music library?
> >
> > - Kurt
> >
> > PS How *are* you?
> >
> > "Susie R. Bock" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been contacted by a gentleman in Maine who grew up in
> > > New York City and whose father was a jazz musician playing with Cab
> > > Calloway and others. He has a large Jazz LP collection, a photograph
> > > from 1940s of Cab Calloway and his father, and a billhead from the
> > > Cotton Club featuring Lena Horne and dating from 1934.
> > >
> > > He is most interested in donating the material to a NYC institution
> > > because of his and his father's assoications. He is also considering
> > > donating the LPs to a Maine institution.
> > >
> > > I told him I would gather information on institutions who might be
> > > interested. If you are please contact me and include information on
> > > how he might contact your institution.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Susie R. Bock
> > > Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
> > > University of Southern Maine Libraries
> > > 314 Forest Ave.
> > > PO Box 9301
> > > Portland, Maine 04104-9301
> > > 207-780-4269
> > > 207-780-4042 (fax)
> > >
> > > A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!
> > >
> > > To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> > > listserv@listserv.muohio.edu
> > >       In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
> > >                     *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES
> > >
> > > Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at
> > >      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
> > >
> > > Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>
> >

> Susie R. Bock
> Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
> University of Southern Maine Libraries
> 314 Forest Ave.
> PO Box 9301
> Portland, Maine 04104-9301
> 207-780-4269
> 207-780-4042 (fax)

begin:vcard
n:Kuss;Kurt
tel;work:(207) 786-6272
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special
org:The Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library / Bates College;70 Campus Avenue / Lewiston, Maine 04240 / (207) 786-6272
version:2.1
email;internet:kkuss@bates.edu
title:Curator of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Photographs
fn:Kurt Kuss
end:vcard