Yet another (shameless) request for advice.

Dear esteemed listmembers,

I am an intern at the Am Museum of Science and Energy and I've been working
on establishing an archive and database of the collections here.  Among our
archives is what we refer to as the Galusha Collection, a collection of
about 6000 documents including letters, patents, photos, blueprints, etc. of
Albert Leet Galusha's files.  (Mr. Galusha was a mechanical engineer in the
first half of the 20th c. and invented various gas producing plants among
other things.)  This was donated some years ago and never really dealt with
in any complete fashion as there has never been an archivist employed here
in the past (there is an "inventory" of the collection which covers about
25% of the total).  My question is just how detailed do I need to be in
cataloging these papers?  Should I go through each and every letter giving
each one it's own accession # or is it better to group them into larger
groups and log them that way?  I realize this seems fairly basic but I am
*the* archives/collections person here and so am learning as I go.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tom Anderson; Collections
American Museum of Science and Energy
300 S. Tulane
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865) 576-3228 (Voice), (865) 576-6024 (Fax)