Re: Help needed - NRA (not Nat'l Rifle Assoc.)

Dear Mr. Berry,

     Any historian worth his title should be able to tell you that the
NRA---"Blue Eagle"---that you are referring to was one of the "100 Days"
programs created by the FDR administration in 1932.  For several years
afterward, companies that proscribed to the NRA "standards" were allowed
and even encouraged to display the logo, or shield, in windows, on walls,
in advertisments, etc.  That dates your literature as to between 1932 and
perhaps 1936 or maybe a bit longer.  This was one of the programs which
was terminated due to a Supreme Court decision.  Sorry I can't give you
more details from memory but you can easily look up the program at the
local library.

Richard Lytle
SLIS Grad
Indiana Univ.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Thomas Berry wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> In going through a large collection of equipment sales literature from the
> 1910's through 1950's, I keep noticing a tiny logo printed next to the
> manufacturer's name on many pieces. The logo depicts a silhuoette of an
> eagle clutching a gear in one talon and lightning bolts in the other. The
> text with the silhouette reads, "NRA member/doing our part."
>
> Can anyone shed any light on what the logo represents and the range of years
> that it was used?
>
> As always, thanks for any help given.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Thomas Berry, Archivist
> Historical Construction Equipment Association
> 16623 Liberty Hi Road
> Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
> Phone 419-352-5616
> Fax 419-352-6086