Re: Request for help with research paper

--- peter gunther <raggmopp_2000@YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> I am currently do a research paper on archival
> arrangement and description. I am interested in
> contacting anyone who works in a repository which
> has
> converted to electronic description. Please feel
> free
> to contact me off-list.
> Peter Gunther
> raggmopp_2000@yahoo.com

What do you mean by "electronic description"?
MARC format has been around a long time & many
archives use it for both in-house OPAC records and
those linked to OCLC. Most archives no longer use
typewriters; item level inventories are created in
Word or WordPerfect. These records are preserved
"electronically" in the computer's c-drive memory or
transfered to computer disc (an electronic information
storage device). Since all of the above examples are
created electronically, do they qualify as "electronic
description"?
Or do you only mean records or inventories created in
HTML or some other web-based format?
Cindy Rosser
Archivist/Special Collections Reference Librarian
UT-Permian Basin
Odessa, TX 79762
rosser_c@utpb.edu
boringlibrarian@yahoo.com