Re: Demand for archivists and records managers in the 21st century

Isn't it interesting that according to the Washington Post Gore will
continue to shrink the federal workforce and according to Bush he will
increase it?  Bush says he's the one who will reduce the fed.  Who knows
what will really happen regardless who gets in the White House, they still
have to go through congress.  Politically, it seems we're sunk (ok, maybe
barely treading water is more accurate) either way.

As for the retirement of baby boomers, I wouldn't hold my breath.  According
to most statistics I've seen (sorry can't quote any off the top of my head)
people are staying in the workforce longer and longer(nothing wrong with
that, of course).  Especially in a career field such as archives and records
managers people can stay in the field far beyond the standard retirement
age ).  It's not unlike academe, the retirement age isn't so "standard"
among professors, many of whom continue ot teach well into their seventies
(at least in my experience).

Well, that's my cynical 2cents.

Tom (I know I'll find a job, I just know it) Anderson
American Museum of Science and Energy
300 S. Tulane
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
tanderson@amse.org