Old Personnel files and Applications

Title: Clear Day

Hello All!

I need to pick the brains of corporate archivists in particular here.  I am processing files from a local corporation and included among them are files of Job Applications as well as several files labeled "Personnel."  I am wondering about the legality of keeping these records and/or making them available to researchers.  The files I'm dealing with right now range from 1944-1948 but there are more files, going up until the 70s I believe, which possibly contain similar files.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Michelle Mumaw Gage
Archivist/Librarian
Minnetrista Cultural Center