Re: Research patrons and microfilm costs

Russell Baker wrote:

> Colleagues:
> We here at the Arkansas History Commission and State Archives (AHC) need
> your help with another of those endless surveys. This one is about microfilm
> costs and research room patrons. Any help you can give will be appreciated.
> 1.      We currently sell positive copies of newspapers, etc., filmed by the
> AHC. Our current charge for a 100 foot roll of microfilm is $25.00 (in
> state) and $35.00 (out of state).  The questions is:
>
>         Do you sell positive silver copies of 35mm microfilm?  What prices
> do you charge to libraries, archives and historical societies?  Do you have
> a different charge for private individuals?

Yes, we sell film to individuals as well as institutions.  The price is the
same, however, we generally require payment in advance from individuals.  We
don't get may sales to private parties, although we do sell the occasional
single roll of film to a private citizen.  We do not differentiate between in
state or out of state researchers, everyone pays the same price.

> 2.      The AHC is open to patrons Monday-Saturday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
> Our patronage for 1999 was 12944.   Thus far in 2000 we have had 9300
> patrons.  These numbers are down from 1997 when our patronage peaked at
> 14244.  The question is:
>
> What were your attendance totals for patrons using historical and
> genealogical materials for 1999 and 2000 (year to date)?  Are you showing a
> decrease or increase in patronage?  If so, to what do you attribute the
> change?

We don't distinguish between genealogical and other types of research.  Most of
our historical researchers come in groups, during the quarters when the course
in History and Government of the Pacific Northwest is offered.  This class is
required for all Education majors, so it has a heavy enrollment.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Charles V. Mutschler, Ph.D.
University Archivist