licensing

I had promised to post to the the listserv a summary of the responses
received to my question about licensing of rights to materials from
archives.  Charles Schultz, Roy Webb and Tim Pennycuff posted their
comments to the entire list.  The few who posted to me directly agreed
with Roy and Tim in saying that they granted non-exclusive rights for
a time time use for a particular purpose rather than more
comprehensive rights.  This has been all policy too.  Charles is
certainly right in saying the patron may ask for much broader rights
than he needs or expects, because it doesn't hurt to ask.