Re: Time Capsules/replies on or off the list

Well said!  I couldn't agree more!

Mary Ann Johnson
Special Collections at UIC

At 11:14 AM 10/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter's response below is a prime example of why replies should come to
the list rather than to the individual who made the request. If the only
thing on the list is questions, the only thing in the archives under "time
capsules" would be X number of posts saying, "I need to do a time capsule,
please help." What good is that?

>While it is interesting to see the different question that come to the
list, I am on the list to find out what the answers are, not what the
questions are. Even if the question does not directly apply to what I am
doing, the answers sometimes can help me with something else. I don't even
like it when people ask others to reply to them, and say they will
summarize to the list. They might forget, or in their summary, they might
leave out something they regard as unimportant that would be very important
to me.

>I am willing to put up with the occasional private conversation that gets
onto the list (these can be interesting to us voyeurs out here) or "not in
office" autoreplies, etc., in order to learn more about how others approach
archival work. I can use my delete key if the post does not apply to me.