Re: Area code 809 scam

I received a posting about this scam about a week ago & it caught my attention because 809 used to be my area code.  I lived in the U.S. Virgin Islands for about 20 years.  809 used to be the area code for most of the Caribbean, outside of Cuba, until about 5 years ago.  At that time, a number of new codes were assigned.  For example, the U.S.V.I. code is now 340.

Anyway, I checked the phone book and the National Fraud Information Center website.  The scam is real but it can apply to any international call.  809 is still the area code for the Dominican Republic (not the British Virgin Islands) so this particular scam seems to come from there.  However, the international rate for phone calls is about $3.00 a minute, not $2425.  Also, the notice about this scam on the National Fraud Information Center is about 3 years old, so this may be an old scam that just lives on as an "urban myth".
However, I wouldn't advice making any long distance calls unless you know who are calling.
Greg