Society of Alabama Archivists Meeting

SOCIETY OF ALABAMA ARCHIVISTS
ANNUAL MEETING DECEMBER 8, 2000

The Society of Alabama Archivists will hold its annual meeting at the
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. This year's program will feature sessions
covering a wide range of topics.  Highlights include: Archival
EAD-Documenting Civil Rights in Alabama-Oral History programs- Cooperative
agreements-Digital projects for the state-Tour of the Birmingham Civil
Rights Institute's computer showcase and optional tours of the museum and
adjacent facilities.

Registration includes the meeting programs, refreshments and a boxed lunch.

SALA encourages all its members to attend, as well as anyone interested in
this year's program.

To view the program and information on the web go to:
http://www.uwa.edu/lrc/SALA/SALA_2000.htm

Need more information?
Contact Shannon White at (205)-652-3615 or visit the SALA website at:
www.auburn.edu/sala/

SALA 2000 PROGRAM

8:30-9:30       Registration

9:30-9:45       Welcome by Linda Overman, SALA President, 1999-2000

9:45-10:30
Session A
"The Future of Finding Aids and the Web" Round Table Discussion
        Mike Breedlove, Alabama Department of Archives and History
        Clark Center, University of Alabama
        Martin Olliff, Auburn University

Session B
Alabama Oral History Inventory Project
        Kimberlyn Darby, Alabama State University

10:30-10:45     BREAK

10:45-11:30
Session A
"Cradle of Freedom: Alabama in the Civil Rights Years"
        Frye Gaillard, author and journalist

Session B
"The Cornerstone Project: the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries
Digitization Initiative for Alabama"

11:30-12:30     Lunch (boxed lunch provided)

12:30-1:00      SALA Business Meeting

1:15 - 2:00
Session A
"Documenting Civil Rights in Alabama" Round Table Discussion
        Jeff Jakeman, Auburn University History Dept., Chair
        Panelists:
        Jim Baggett, Birmingham Public Library, Dept. of Archives and
Manuscripts
        Wayne Coleman, Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
        Jeff Frederick, Auburn University History Dept.
        Alden Monroe, Alabama Dept. of Archives and History
        Gwen Patton, Trenholm State Technical College Archives

Session B
"Cooperative Agreements Between Archival Repositories and Non-Archival
Organizations"
        Shannon White, The University of West Alabama
        Tim Pennycuff, University of Alabama at Birmingham

2:00-2:15       BREAK

2:15-3:00
Sessions A & B
The Richard Arrington Jr. Resource Gallery Computer Exhibit
        Wayne Coleman, Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

3:00-3:15       Closing Remarks

3:15-5:00       Time available to tour the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

REGISTRATION FORM

SOCIETY OF ALABAMA ARCHIVISTS
Meeting Registration
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
December 8, 2000

Fill out form and return form to:

Ken Tilley, Tres.
Society of Alabama Archivists
c/o ADAH
P.O. Box 300100
Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

Please enclose check or money order for $20.00 per guest.  On-site
registration will be $25.00.
Registration includes the SALA meeting, boxed lunch, and refreshments.

Name:

E-mail Address: ________________________________________________________

Mailing Address:

City:

Zip:

Telephone:

Amount Enclosed:  ________________________________________________________

Directions to the Institute

Via I-65 North or Via I-65 South  -From I-65, take I-20/59 Northeast towards
Atlanta.  Exit at the 17th St. exit and bear right.  From the light go two
blocks to 6th Ave.  North. Turn right on to 6th Ave. North. The Institute is
one block up on your left.
Via I-20/59 North (from Tuscaloosa)  -From I-20/59, heading north take the
17th St. exit and bear right.  From the light go two blocks to 6th Ave.
North. Turn right on to 6th Ave. North. The Institute is one block up on
your left.

Via I-20 West  -I-20 West merges into I-59 South. Then take the 22nd Street
Exit. At exit take left and proceed up three blocks to 6th Avenue North.
Take a right on 6th Avenue North and go down to 16th Street. The Institute
will be on your left.