"cavern"

In Peter's recent listing is a story about the missing
Clinton letters at the Univ. of Arkansas at Little Rock.
I greatly sympathize with the head of special collections
because I occasionall stumble on empty folders here, too,
but usually they are the work of former staff who would
remove items for exhibit and then not file them back in
the same folder.

BUT ... did anyone notice in the article that the
reporter referred to the stacks of Special Collections
as the "caverns" of the Library?!    I've jokingingly
called my basement environs the "catacombs" but
will have to add this term to the list.

P.S.  I don't think I have seen a Presidential election
year that has been so "bombarding" in terms of tape
recordings and automated dialings, e-mail, etc.   I
hesitate to blame technology and the internet, but
I think this is very very so.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338