Re: Need Opinions on Electronic storage of records

Several of the repositories I've worked at or been to use InMagic.  It's
very flexible and has a tremendous search engine.  You can do whatever
you want with it, and use it for administrative records and also as a
means of access to the collection.  However, unless you buy a library
module, you have to plan out and set up all the databases yourself,
which requires time and some skill, and patience.

I've seen Minaret and Eloquent Heritage, but that was several years ago.
The Minaret I saw was a MARC-based package, which is not flexible enough
and too restrictive for archival materials.  The Eloquent Heritage I saw
was very complicated, required days of consulting to set up, and was not
very searchable.  But again, that was at least five years ago, and both
products may have been improved.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept of Special Collections
Emmitsburg, MD
301/447-5397
rfitzger@msmary.edu