Match books

Here is one that can appreciate on a friday afternoon.

Here at the college there is an annual faculty auction to raise money for scholarships.  Whenever possible the Archives donates materials that can help in this cause.

One of our collections came in with a large supply of matchbooks that said "Abe and Mary" on the outside.  Probably used to celebrate an anniversary rather than a wedding.  Anyway as we had a rather large supply of these we sent them to the auction.  We were quite surprised to learn that they went for a hefty price.  The ral surprise came when the lucky bidder called the Archives to inquire where we found the matchbooks from Abraham and Mary Todd Lincolns wedding!!!!!

Have a great weekend all

Rob Dishon