grave sites

There is a researcher who is seeking information about grave sites that are marked with an "X."

The verbal tradition of the "X" is that when a person died of a contagious disease, an "X" was made on the marker for the grave site in hopes of preventing anyone from opening the grave and disturbing the germs, bacteria, etc.

We have two examples of person who died of typhoid fever and small pox, and their markers do, indeed, have an "X" on them.

My researcher is seeking footnoted proof that the "X" means what the assumption says.

Thank you for any help,

Cathy Brown

Cbrown@ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us

My opinions…