NZ WWII Info

"The Oxford Companion to WWII" (editors Dear and Foot) describes Kiwi
military forces, fatalities on p801, with a source for those figures cited.
In addition, a total of 5.5p is devoted to NZ's contribution to the war,
which, considering its size and resources, was quite substantial in terms of
military forces and materiel. It served as a bread basket for Allied troops
in Pacific theatre. (My dad, posted to Auckland as a US Marine during that
time, still can't tolerate the smell of mutton or lamb today). I can happily
fax that to you, Tom.  I'll explore the Aussie part of this tome and let you
know if I find anything about NZ's relationship with Oz. However, the
mentioned source indicates NZ was not a sovereign state until 1939, so that
my explain part of the difficulty in determining her relationships
diplomatically. I know also from having traveled to that amazing part of the
world that Kiwi's, in general, don't feel close bonds to the Aussies. I
perceived a signficant difference between the two cultures, both of which
are wonderful.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library