Wooden shelving

Help & recommendations needed
        In a meeting with the Dept. of Public Works yesterday, it was made
pretty clear that the new document storage room will not be completed for
longer than I had aniticipated.   I am preparing a grant application for
funding the cost of processing & re-housing a collection now on wooden
shelving that has made the document boxes acidic.  Part of the concern of
the grantmaking organization is the location where the records will be
maintained after the project is completed.  So, my questions are:

        Can the wooden shelving be made a temporarily "safe" environment if
it is lined with buffered, acid-free mat board?
        If so, what specifications are required for the mat board
(thickness, % of buffer, etc.)?

        Thanks to anyone & everyone,

Sharon A. Pullen, CA
Suffolk County Archivist