Recess for adults

I seem to recall Robert A. Heinlein making the comment that politics was
"recess for adults" (perhaps he was quoting someone else) and the recent
doings in Florida do seem to confirm that. However, I give you this wondrous
gem from our own elections here in The Frosty Northlands. Apologies to those
that have seen it on ARCAN-L

Reform/Alliance MP Ted White (member for Lynn Valley) recently wrote
 this:

[...]

"I cannot conceive of any way in which  research in the fields of fine arts,
classical studies, philosophy,  anthropology, modern languages and
literature, or medieval studies...contributes to any 'understanding of
Canadian  society or the challenges we face as we enter the 21st century.'
Research into such fields, as far as my constituents are concerned,
constitutes a personal past-time, and has no benefit to Canadian taxpayers.
As their representative, I cannot justify funding such activities with their
tax dollars."

_________

You'll notice he doesn't mention Archives specifically, so I guess we're off
the hook :-]

Jeff