[Fwd: Public Lending Rights]

I'm passing this on from STHC-L, The Science, Technology, and Health Care Archives Forum.

I don't know that it applies to Archivists yet, but I have to think this ebook silliness will hit us eventually.

DS

Jerremie Clyde wrote:

Subject: Public Lending Right, E-books and Electronic
Libraries

Please excuse any cross postings

Lesley Ellen Harris? newest editorial is worth taking
a look it.  It does an excellent job of bringing to
light the issues facing libraries, authors, and
library patrons regarding public lending right, as it
exists in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia and
Germany (or as it doesn?t exist in the United States),
and the advent of electronic library collections and
e-books.  She also points out some important issues
regarding e-books, electronic libraries, the ease of
pay-per-use and what that does to a library?s
traditional role as a lending institution.

The new editorial is from Volume 4, Issue 3 of The
Copyright & New Media Law Newsletter: For Libraries,
Archives & Museums. Reading the editorial is well
worth your time and can be found at:

http://www.copyrightlaws.com/contents/editorial43.html

The newsletter is produced by Handshake Productions,
edited by Lesley Ellen Harris, and is meant to keep
librarians, archives and museums abreast of important
copyright and licensing issues and news, and it
provides practical solutions to everyday activities.

Jerremie Clyde,
MLIS Student