Re: Use of digital camera to make copies

I have established a precedent (not exactly set in policy yet) of NOT
allowing digital reproduction of collection items, except for internal uses.
My reasoning is two-fold:  1) I can't control how the image might be
manipulated or further copied.  2)  Most of my photos (I presume the patron
is interested in images, not text, but I feel the guiding principals are the
same) do not have negatives or preservation prints;  researchers can have a
photographic print made, in which case they also pay for the copy negative
and a 10% to 30% markup.

Hope that helps.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist