Summary of reading list request

Dear Listserv,

I have been asked to post responses that I recieved concerning my request for an introductory reading list for Archives.  What follows is a summary of some of the responses that I received (some fell prey to a glitchy email system that deletes files you don't want it to).

In no particular order (or bibliographic format, I'm ashamed to say):

Just about any of the Society of American Archivists texts would be beneficial.  They have an "Archives Fundamentals" series that includes texts from understanding archives, to appraisal, arrangement and description, reference services, management, and preservation.  For the beginning archivist, I also highly recommend Gregory Hunter's book: Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives.  Other really good beginner books include Managing Archives and Archival Institutions, by James Gregory Bradsher, and the excellent Keeping Archives, by Judith Ellis.  My guess is that all of
these texts can be purchased through the Society of American Archivists' publications website at http://www.archivists.org/catalog/index.html

Run, do not walk, to the Society of American Archivists Professional Resources catalogue. The one I have is 1999. A newer one might have been published. It should have the resources you need. www.archivists.org or
info@archivists.org.

Research and the Manuscript Tradition, Frank G Burke, Scarecrow, 1997.  It is the best big-picture treatment of
the profession.  If it would help, find the Colorado State University web page, then to the library, then to the archives,and look at the portion of our Archives Manual that is on the site.

Starting an Archives, Elizabeth Yakel, SAA, 1994.  It is a good introduction to what is required in an archives.

Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives:  A How-To-Do-It Manual, Gregory S. Hunter, Neal-Schuman Publishers, 1997.

Understanding Archives and Manuscripts, James O'Toole, SAA, 1992.

Varsity Letters:  Documenting Modern Colleges and Universities, Helen willa Samuels, SAA, 1992.

Managing Institutional Archives:  Foundational Principles and Practices, Richard J. Cox, Greenwood Press, 1992.

The Management of College and University Archives, William J. Maher, SAA, 1992.

An Archival Primer: a Practical Guide for Building and Maintaining an Archival Program, Martha Lund Smalley, Yale Divininty School Library, 1994.

You can also check the archives of the ARCHIVES listserv to see if your question has already been discussed.

WEBSITES:

www.archivist.org/governance/guidelines/cu_guidelines.html
Guidelines for College and University Libraries

http://www.archivists.org/catalog/index.html
Society of American Archivists' publications website

http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~rcox/RESOURCESPreface.htm
RESOURCES FOR ARCHIVAL & RECORDS MANAGEMENT STUDIES: READINGS & WEB SITES
Richard J. Cox, University of Pittsburgh School of Library & Information Sciences, October 2000.

http://manta.library.colostate.edu/archives/manual.pdf\
Colorado State University Archives Manual

http://www.senylrc.org/dhp/howdowe.htm
HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING? OPERATING DOCUMENTS FOR THE SMALL,
NON-GOVERNMENTAL, MANUSCRIPT REPOSITORY
prepared by Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer, Regional Archivist.

Thanks again for all your responses,
Lisa Donadio

Lisa Donadio
Technical Services Assistant