Re: Lamentated poster

Patricia,
Since I can't see your poster, it's impossible to give recommendations. However, from your description, it sounds like you need a professional paper conservator to work on this. I would:

1. NOT use adhesive tapes, even though they are touted as "Archival Quality", "Museum Quality" or even worse, "Acid Free". There are no such standards and I have never trusted using ANY kind of sticky adhesive tape on any kinds of paper or photographs.
2. Do not try to lift the plastic from the poster. Unfortunately, in the cases I have come across, lamination is somewhat permanent and not much can be done.

If the poster is to be scanned, using Adobe Photoshop can digitally erase the flaws on the poster. It may not be necessary to repair it. Let the computer do that on a digital image (as long as there are no copyright problems). Good luck.

Steve Hoza, Conservator
Arizona Historical Society
>>> "Patricia F. Donnelly" <pbruce@NF.SYMPATICO.CA> 12/02/00 04:48AM >>>
Hi All,
Recently I was contacted about a lamenated Boys Scout poster (1965 or
earlier), approximately 2 x 3 ft paper poster. It was saved from a fire.
The poster was once folded into thirds and some time later it was unfolded
and lamentated. The poster has taken on its rolled shape but is still
fairly intact. Its weakest areas are where it was once folded. Along one
crease the top adhesive plastic has completely split and slightly lifted
the top surface of the paper with it, separating it from its bottom paper
surface which is adhered to the bottom adhesive plastic. Any
recommendations on how to repair this? In other creased areas the lamenated
paper completely split away and scotch tape was used to repair it. Oddly,
there seems to be black soot under the lamentated poster although it was
lamentatd before the fire. Hope I explained it well. Thanks for advice.
First time posting.

I have a few questions to put forth:
1) Is there anything special one should use to clean the lamenated posters
surface to remove basic soot and dust? (damp cotton cloth?)
2) What can be used to repair the completely split areas (remove scotch
tape and use archival tape?)
3) What can be used to adhere the top surface of the lamentated paper to
its bottom lamenated paper surface (archival adhesive or double sided
tape???)
4)What means of copying the poster do you recommend (scanning, enlarge
photograph?)
5)How long do you thing the poster will survive, if stored away in an
archival box and not handled?

Patricia Donnelly
Preservation Officer
Association of Newfoundland and Labrador Archives