Re: soliciting input/advice (microfilming project)

Renee and all,

Depending on your objectives, we tend to recommend the film first with 35mm
microfilm approach that many posts have already mentioned.

When properly processed and stored, silver halide microfilm on a polyester
base has a life expectancy (LE) of 500 years. The LE is tested by
independent sources  such as Image Permanence Institute and a standard  held
by ANSI /AIIM . The LE of film is also a magnitude of five times (500 vs 100
years) that Kodak and other manufacturers assert with CDs.

We are in agreement, too, with the opinions express by others of refreshment
and migration. Refreshment and migration will be necessary and budgeting for
it is difficult. Steve Puglia summarizes some NARA sources on this in "The
Costs of Digital Imaging Projects," RLG DigiNews, Oct. 1999.
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews3-5.html#feature

>>1) do we scrap the project entirely?
2) do we rewrite the proposal (which is in dire need of revision anyway) to
include purchasing a 35mm microfilming camera?>>

Regarding question 1, there are a variety of factors at hand here, but if
you approach the project as microfilming at this time, high quality
preservation microfilm is a cost effective and low maintenance way to
preserve this material. Having a string of images on microfilm will allow
for bitonal or grayscale digitizing either now or at a later date.

Regarding question 2, consider not buying a 35mm camera, but outsourcing the
service. While Kodak has not invested in 35mm cameras beyond the 1950's-era
MRD, German camera makers have . By not investing in equipment or labor, you
will be able to focus your energies on what librarians do best: describing
and organizing the collection.

Bravo for convincing your director to film.  Microfilm is excellent for
preservation. Preservation Resources maintains a website with information
about both preservation microfilming and digitizing of film. See
http://www.oclc.org/presres/

If you would like to talk about microfilming or scanning, feel free to
contact Carmen Howard for filming or Lynn Wagner for digitizing at the
general email address or by phone.

Preservation Resources
9 South Commerce Way
Bethlehem, PA 18017