Re: Florida records retention schedule question

Eric scrawled: "It's high time to junk that elitist Hamiltonian relic, the
Electoral College. An oligarchy might need it, a democracy doesn't."

fortunately we are a representative republic and not a democracy

and this following missive too: "John Quincy Adams in 1824 and Rutherford B.
Hayes in 1876 were the de facto presidents only. Neither was legitimate."

Well then my history books are wrong (and have been wrong)and here I thought
both had been sworn in as President as a result of the Electoral College and
not by force of arms, therefore they would appear to be not only de facto,
but also de jure presidents.

But to bring this back to a records why are the actual ballots retained for
22 months after the election? Yes I know that 42 USC 1974 is referenced but
that statute says:
Sec. 1974. Retention and preservation of records and papers by officers of
elections; deposit with custodian; penalty for violation

"Every officer of election shall retain and preserve, for a period of
twenty-two months from the date of any general, special, or primary election
of which candidates for the office of President, Vice President,
presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of
Representatives, or Resident Commissioner from the Commonwealth of Puerto
Rico are voted for, all records and papers which come into his possession
relating to any application, registration, payment of poll tax, or other act
requisite to voting in such election,"

and it appears to refer to records and papers necessary to vote ie
registrations, poll tax etc. How is this construed to include the ballots
themselves?

Full Federal election franchise chapter can be found at this link:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/ch20.html#PC20

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc