Re: Laminated poster

Hi Patricia,
You're welcome. You can e-mail me directly if you have any future questions. I don't always know the answers but I know a lot of people who probably can find them. My e-mail is steve.hoza@ahs.maricopa.gov  A good alternative to using adhesive tapes is mending with wheat starch paste and Japanese tissue such as Kizukishi (there are many different grades depending on the weight of the paper). Light Impressions sells wheat starch paste and that is a good inert, water soluble, reversible way to mend large tears. If mended from the back of the poster, the tear often is hard to see.

Steve Hoza, Conservator
Arizona Historical Society

>>> "Patricia F. Donnelly" <pbruce@NF.SYMPATICO.CA> 12/05/00 08:37PM >>>
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the advice. I will be contacting a local paper conservator
regarding the poster. Maybe she can do some work on it. Yes I agree with
never using any archival tape on paper or photographs. Because the
laminated poster's surface is taped with scotch tape in areas where the
laminated paper is split completely, I thought maybe Archival tape might be
better to use than keep the scotch tape on it. Ofcourse if the scotch tape
is removed there is nothing holding the splits together. It looks like the
scotch tape would very easily be removed from the laminated surface. But if
Archival tape is no better than scotch tape, there is not much sense in
removing the tape and replacing it with Archival tape. It is interesting to
note that where the paper was creased before lamination, that is now where
all the splits are, it's weakest areas. Yes I agree, not much one can do
with a laminated poster. The top plastic adhered to the paper surface is
actually lifting/dividing from bottom paper/plastic in some creased split
areas...not good. Thanks for the tip on Adobe Photoshop. I'll check into
that.

Patricia Donnelly
Preservation Officer
Association of Newfoundland & Labrador Archives