Re: origins of laughter

        It developed in bibical times.  You see, when Eve wrongly accused
Adam of philandering, he rigorously cleared his throat "ahaHAHUMM . . .
haHUM" to give himself time to gather his thoughts.  Onomatopoetically, this
quickly developed into the sound we now know as laughter.  Curiouser, is
that it is the female gender that's generally attributed with its initial
usage, despite the fact that it clearly originated from a man.

At 08:18 PM 12/10/00 EST, you wrote:
>I am posting this for a friend who is interested in theories on the origins
>of laughter. Can anyone in this well-read group offer any suggestions for
>him? Thanks, Barbara Mayer

Tom Mueller

        "Do not read good books--
                Life is too short for that--only read the best.
                          And of these only read what gives you the greatest pleasure."

                                                                Abbe Dimnet, in
                                                                "The Art of Thinking."