Re: Information Request regarding digital indexing and access to loca l history newspapers

ListMembers,
I would be very interested in the technology involved
in indexing scanned material, although not for
newspapers. Please answer Janet Cronbach's question on
list.
Mae Nielander                      I VOTED.
Curator of Manuscripts              I'D LIKE TO THINK!
Institute on WWII
Dep't of History             WE STILL HAVE OUR SENSE
Florida State University    OF HUMOR, IF NOT DIGNITY.
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2200

--- "Cronbach, Janet" <JCronbach@ACLIBRARY.ORG> wrote:
> The Fremont Main Library is looking into options for
> improving access to the
> newspaper articles in our Local History collection.
> We have some entire runs
> of historic local newspapers on microfiche and are
> looking into the
> feasibility of scanning the microfiche, using OCR
> software to make the scan
> searchable, and creating a subject index. We are
> also interested in the
> possibility of retaining the newspaper collection
> online to provide for
> full-text searching.
>
> I am looking for input from any libraries which have
> experience with
> providing digital access to newspapers and/or with
> using software to create
> an index automatically from a scanned copies.
>
> I hope you may be able to point me towards similar
> projects.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Janet Cronbach, Reference Librarian
> Fremont Main Library
> 2400 Stevenson Blvd.
> Fremont, CA 94538
>
> jcronbach@aclibrary.org
>
> A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV
> List!
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> listserv@listserv.muohio.edu
>       In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname
> lastname
> archives@listserv.muohio.edu
>
> Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the
> web interface at
>
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
> <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

=====
Mae E. Nielander
2571 Panther Creek Road