Registry, "free access" archives, documentation on mines actions

Good morning all,

I am in charge of developing the records management system for the Geneva
International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (http://www.gichd.ch) and I
am looking for existing procedures before reinventing the wheel. I would be
grateful to you if you were able to share knowledge with me in these scopes
(contacts, weblinks, references, books aso).
Please do not be surprised of my questions, as french archivist, I am not
close with some british or american archiving principles...but I shall be
glad to learn ; )...

1. How are fonctionning most of registries in organisations and how are they
linked to archives ?
2. The experts in particular, and the GICHD staff in general (we are 20 at
the time) would like and need to access the technical files even if the RIM
is not present (week ends, nights aso). (The personnel and finance files
won't be accessible, they will be kept in an other place). Does anybody have
an experience in this area of "open" archives and could give me some hints,
tips, tricks ?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Elisabeth Buhlmann
RIM