Re: Registry, "free access" archives, documentation on mines acti ons -Reply

Dear Douglas,

Thank you very much for your answer, this is good to hear from overseas.
A copy of my answer is mailed to Archives listserv, to avoid duplication of
questions.

1) What is Humanitarian Demining?  (What does "Demining" mean?)

Demining is defined by IMAS 04.10 (International Mine Actions Standards) as
"survey and subsequent clearance of contaminated land by the detection,
removal or destruction of all mine and unexploded ordnance hazards". Our
website, I mentionned in my first mail, will give you all the info you need
(http://www.gichd.ch)

2) Describe your "technical files"--this sounds a bit strange, given what I
think your function as an organization is...

The technical files are the working files of each experts. These files
contain documentation, correspondence, draft versions of reports, minutes of
working groups meetings, any documents that can be produced or received
during the study process.

3) As a former student at the Universitie de Geneve (2 years, African
Studies, 1966-68), I thought to also make some minor corrections in your
message (see the ( ) below),  so that it might read better to those who see
it on their computer screens...
Thank you for the adjective "minor" and the use of "might", I do appreciate
your diplomacy.

4) Are your records on paper?  Or other formats?  What are these formats?
The records are on paper format, electronic format, video format. I have
paper, photos (most are in digital format (90 % in jpeg)), emails, faxes
(paper), videos (VHS), electronic files (word, excel, project, pwpoint). The
majority of the records are either in paper of electronic format : I mean,
that most of the paper docs are printed version of emails, reports, letters
aso.

When I wrote the RIM was not present, I meant the Records and Information
Manager was not present.

As you can see, the digitalizing solution would be probably better than the
microfilming one for the access but regarding the archiving procedures I am
not yet satisfied.

Best regards
Elisabeth Buhlmann