Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

...especially the ones that play tinny little pieces of music. We usually make them answer   in the foyer and more-or-less politely tell them to turn them off in the reading room. Peer pressure from other, more grumpy (and larger) readers works a treat too. But no official policy as yet....

Tim Lovell-Smith
Manuscripts and Archives Section
ALEXANDER TURNBULL LIBRARY

http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz

>>> rmbaird@BENTLEY.UNCO.EDU 16/12/00 09:38:25 >>>
Aaaarrrrggghhh! I want to rip the damned things out of their hands
and smash them against the wall! However, seeing that such
actions wouldn't be in accordance with professional behavior, I
just grit my teeth. Students at our university library will answer
their cell phone and put the reference person they were speaking
to "on hold" until they're done using the phone. Sheesh! As far as
I know, there is no official policy on use of cell phones in our
building.

Roiann M. Baird
James A. Michener-Endowed Archivist
James A. Michener Library