Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Baggett [mailto:jbaggett@POST.BHAM.LIB.AL.US]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 3:06 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: cell phone use in Archives Research Rooms

    At the Birmingham Public Library we banned cell phone use in the
Archives. Our Reading Room guidelines state, "Turn off or mute cellular
telephones and pagers. Do not use cellular telephones in the Reading Room."
And because we had people walking in the door talking on the things we  put
a sign on the Reading Room door that says "No Cellular Phones Please."  On
those few occasions when a researcher "forgets" and starts using the phone
anyway a staff member simply walks up and politely interrupts them and asks
them to step outside.
    This policy has been in place for almost a year and no one has
complained. I think that, on some level, many people know that they are
being disruptive and rude by using cell phones in inappropriate places. I
think they just choose to do it anyway.