Hiking and Storytelling in Ireland

The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Library and Information
Studies again offers its popular study tour of Ireland, June 21- July 3,
2001.

This small group will take in the contrasting "countries" of the urban
(Dublin) and rural (Clare, Donegal, Sligo and Galway), settings that are
far more different than Northern Ireland is from the Republic of
Ireland.  We will feature literature, storytelling, hiking and sight
seeing.  The focus is on meeting local people; they are our access to the
history, the architecture and the literature.

Dates: June 21-July 3, 2001

CEUs: Participants can earn 3 continuing education units for this program.

Housing: In Dublin we stay at Trinity College Dublin; throughout the rest
of the country, we stay in private homes.

Price: $1675 estimated (the final price will be set in early March) plus
air fare.  This price includes  housing, entrance fees, tour guides, land
transportation, gratuities, performers, and most meals.  The dollar has
been strong against the Irish punt, and we expect to have no increase in
the estimated price.

Program: We'll attend theatre, learn about women literary figures who have
been neglected in the public conversation, meet religious leaders
(including a couple of women), have our own storytelling circle, watch turf
(peat bogs) being cut for a turf fire, have tea and scones by a turf fire,
visit the ancestral home of U.S. President James Polk, visit the little
book store in Galway that has started an explosion of  Irish collecting at
numerous American universities. We'll walk and talk.  We'll see ancient
sites with architecture representative of the many periods of Irish
history, and we'll see the results of the Celtic Tiger, Ireland's most
modern economic upturn.  We'll also have an opportunity to visit the oldest
public library in Ireland.

Tour size:  We've reserved a small coach so that we can more readily travel
the country roads and the seaside overpasses.  This trip is limited to 14
people.

For more information, contact LEMundt@facstaff.wisc.edu or call Linda
Mundt, 608/263-4452 (days) and 608/255-0651 (evenings).

Linda Mundt
School of Library and Information Studies
University of Wisconsin-Madison
600 N. Park Street, Room 4263
Madison, WI 53706

608/263-4452 phone      608/263-4849 fax