Re: Acid content of laminate

Vol 2 of "Engineering Plastics", an Engineered Materials Handbook, discusses
various polymers/plastics used commercially. However, I think it is beyond
what Mr. Glass needs. It really gets into the nitty-gritty chemistry of it
all.  But, in Thomas Register, p23380/LAM, Vol 12 of the 2000 edition, I
find CLC, Connecticut Laminating Company, which is one of many which do the
laminating I think we are talking about. Per the advert, CLC does all sorts
of laminating using many materials (PVC, rigid vinyl, flex vinyl, polyester,
mylar, styrene, etc., etc.)  A variety of goods which they do, on a custom
basis, is pictured (luggage tags, calendars, decals, cards, door hangers,
etc). I suspect if you call them at 800-753-9119, or go to
www.CTLaminating.com or e-mail to info@CTLaminating.com, and ask to speak
with one of the technical advisors, you might get some answers to your
questions. Of course, you needn't obligate yourself, just say your scouting
out info on laminating, and that a colleage recommended CLC. They may be
flattered to hear that. I suspect they can send you literature, etc., or
provide info on aging/deterioration or various laminating materials. Many do
yellow and become brittle over time, but additives such as UV stabilizers
and plasticizers, pigments, etc., all come into play in these materials. I
suspet if you present a wish-list of properties desired for the bookmarks,
CLC can make a recommendation to meet your needs and cost constraints. Also,
would some of the additives bleed out over time?

If you have access to the college library, I could also recommend the
librarian do a search into PIRA (Packaging, Paper, Printing and Publishing,
Imaging, and Non-Woven Abstracts)(file B248 on Dialog), or Chemical
Abstracts (file B399 on Dialog)(she may be blessed with a direct academic
subscription to Chem Abs...the ultimate!). Engineered Materials, file B293,
doesn't seem to quite fit your need.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library