Re: (FWD) NCC Washington Update, Vol 6, #45, December 21, 2000

Katherine wrote:
"Do any of you folks know whether your states have such requirements?"

Well Texas and Virginia are way ahead of California in that the state
histories are taught at the elementary school level. In Texas it takes place
in the 8th grade, while my daughter had Virginia history in the fourth
grade.

The ability to connect with an historical event is just as important as
learning the dates, as such, living here in Richmond my children have take
school tours of Williamsburg, Jamestown as well as the sites in and around
Richmond. In Texas they saw the Alamo, the San Jacinto monument as well as
Washington on the Brazos.

I believe that archivist as well as their institutions should develop
traveling programs that can be taken to the local schools so that the
students can connect with the past.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc