Re: value of papers

Since I asked a similar question and then read the railroad stuff more carefully.  If she is a member of the local historical society-especially an officer or worker, museum ethics state that she must offer it to the historical society/museum at her cost. Also, did she get them for a reduced cost because she is connected with the organization.  About 15 years ago the head of the St. Louis Historical was fired for padding his collection from auctions by stating he was at the auctions on behalf of the society-he also collected the same things as the museum which is also not really ethical. I collect agricultural tools amd books concerned from the 19th century, I  was at an auction to buy a specific thing for a museum and found some very good tools, at a reasonable price I bought them and them had to give them to the museum at my cost because they wanted them. I also found books, they only wanted the best of the lot so I had to prorate and practically give away the ones I really wanted- the ones that made the "lot" worth the price.  One should be careful.  Since the museum uses these things and they have added much to thier collection, I do not regreat it-at least not much since I copied the really important ones so I could use them for research.  Hope that helps. Joan

<<< dlclinton@HOTMAIL.COM  1/ 5  2:51p >>>
Try for one dinner at Union Station and a photo with Rocko DiSpirito. ;-)

Seriously, I think costs plus is more than fair for marginal documents.
Perhaps costs plus a percentage. Make it sound like a standard industry
practice. And be prepared to pass if she won't go along. Who else is she
going to sell them to?

Dan Clinton
US Mint
Washington, DC