From: Stephanie Hess <shess@GGU.EDU>
To: <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 2:26 PM
Subject: Query re: old leather bound volumes

> Greetings all!
> I am curious as to what preservation methods other folks have used in the
past to successfully slow the deterioration process of volumes already
skidding down the slippery slope to leather rot.  The library where I work
is currently engaged in an extensive shelving project that has uncovered
some older sets of leather-bound volumes (dated 1890s).  These are
non-circulating volumes but do get some usage by students, faculty, etc.
Since the leather rot has advanced to the "flaking point" I was considering
applying Cellugel and then outfitting each vol. with its own mylar book
cover or phase box.  Also, should I de-acidify the pages since they are
starting to discolor?  If anyone has discovered a fabulous solution to this
isort of problem, please contact me on or off list at your earliest
convenience.  All insights and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!