Internet Moving Images Archive site is fixed

The network problems have been fixed and the Internet Moving Images Archive
site is back up.  I apologize for Monday's confusion.

This resource contains ephemeral (advertising, educational, industrial,
documentary, amateur and government) films relevant to the study of
20th-century American culture and society, media and media production,
communication, technology, landscape and many other subject areas.

At present it contains approximately 360 out of a planned total of 1001
titles, all from Prelinger Archives.  All are available for free
downloading and reuse, with no restrictions other than that the films
cannot be resold or licensed by anyone in their entirety or as stock
footage.  Our intention is that these titles should circulate freely as
"open-source" content.

I encourage you to download this material for your own use and for the use
of your patrons.  I hope that easy access to these films will assist
scholars, teachers, students, exhibitors and members of the general public
in coming to terms with the complex and diverse audiovisual history of the
20th century.

The digitized video files are in MPEG-2 format; see the site for
information on playback.  In the next few months they will also be
available in MPEG-4 for lower-bandwidth users.

Please visit the site at http://www.moviearchive.org/movie/index.html.
Shortly, the simplified URL will be http://www.moviearchive.org.

At the moment, the site does not work with Netscape, but we are working on
fixing this shortly.

An article on the background and rationale for this project may be found at
http://eserver.org/bs/52/prelinger.html.

The Internet Moving Images Archive is a project of the Internet Archive
(http://www.archive.org) in collaboration with Prelinger Archives.

With many thanks,

Rick Prelinger

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Archives   http://www.prelinger.com
P.O. Box 590622, San Francisco, Calif. 94159-0622
+1 415 750-0445      Fax: +1 415 750-0607
footage@panix.com