Fire suppression

Greetings to all:

Our small library/manuscript repository has been investigating the
replacement of a Halon fire suppression system, and is looking for some
practical comments or suggestions regarding a water mist system.  We have
received some conflicting opinions from potential consultants over the
availability and costs of mist systems, and are hoping anyone who has
reviewed or installed a system might offer some advice.

We have obtained some promotional material for Fogtec and Hi-Fog systems,
and both appear promising.  Most of the installations listed were
industrial and seagoing, though some libraries and archives in Europe have
used the systems.  We are told that some libraries and historic sites in
North America are also in the process of using mist systems.

We are reluctant to use a traditional sprinkler system, though we have
contemplated installing sprinklers in the reading room and stacks while
continuing the use of Halon in the enclosed vault area where most of the
manuscript material is stored.  The building is one story and has had three
additions in its 50 years.

We have used the NEDCC manual chapter on fire suppression, and have been in
touch with its author, Nick Artim, who has been very helpful.  Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated.

Warren Stricker

Warren Stricker, Archivist
Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
P.O. Box 1401
San Antonio, TX 78295-1401
(210) 225-1071                  Email: WStricker@drtl.org
Fax: (210) 212-8514             URL: http://www.drtl.org/