Re: A. O. M. P. S.

You might try checking a city directory from the time period the person
died.  I seem to recall that (based on my work with old Dayton, OH city
directories) these books contain lists of local fraternal organizations and
their abbreviations.

Hope that works!

Eileen Simon

At 09:56 AM 1/18/01 -0600, you wrote:
>The above inscription was recently found on a headstone in Arkansas. Does
>anyone know what "A. O. M. P. S." stands for. Obviously it is a fraternal
>organization of some king.
>
>Russell P. Baker, CA
>Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
>One Capitol Mall
>Little Rock, AR 72201
>501-682-6900
>russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Eileen Simon
Reference Librarian
Eden-Webster Library
475 E. Lockwood
St. Louis, MO  63119
(314) 961-2660 X7819

simon@library2.webster.edu

"The illusion that times that were are better than those that are, has
probably pervaded all ages."

-- Horace Greeley