Re: Cold storage units

Hi Matt,

We're faced with a similar situation.  Short of renovating an entire room
for cold storage, we thought that stand-alone freezer units were our best
option.  I looked into offerings in the food service industry, and then it
hit me: Science labs use freezers!  And their needs are probably more
exacting than those of the merchant who has to keep his taco mix cold.  I
contacted a local firm that has worked with many of the science units at the
University of Nebraska, and found (to my amazement) that the freezers were
not only more exacting in their features, but CHEAPER!  Woo-hoo!

While we've not gathered the bucks to make a purchase yet, we're looking
seriously at the product line of Lab Research Products (www.labresprod.com,
800-648-4041).  The rep here in Lincoln (NE) is Anne Rogers, D.A.I.
Scientific Equipment, 800-816-8388 x18.  The LRP freezers we're considering
have stainless steel interiors and exteriors, casters and external digital
temperature displays.  And our rep tells me that the folks at the factory
are no strangers to "tweaking" the specs for a client's particular needs --
in fact, they welcome the challenge.  The beauty of such units (beyond those
qualities I've already mentioned) is that they can be put anywhere in the
building and your cold storage can be expanded by just purchasing more
units.

One word of warning, though:  Especially if you plan to use sub-freezing
temps (which we do), you'll have to have a means of acclimating the
materials you remove from the units in increments.  There are some
guidelines for this, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

Good luck!

-Paul

Paul J. Eisloeffel
Curator of Audio-Visual Collections