Re: Change in the list's Reply-To setting

Richard wrote:
"We changed the Reply-To setting for a one-month trial and comment period
during November.  While the majority of on-list comments were against
the change, messages received off-list resulted in equal numbers pro and
con.  The number of comments represented less than half of one percent
of all subscribers.

Given the small, neutral response, we considered other factors.  We had
been moved to act as the result of many complaints about personal
messages received over the years."

The explanation is very helpful. IMHO this information would have been more
useful if reported to the list following the November experimental period. A
compiled report of on and off-list responses would have been helpful, too.

He also wrote:
"These comments were not about messages of questionable relevancy to the
topic of the list, but primarily about messages along the lines of "Me,
too!"  And, "Bob! Haven't heard from you in ages.  When are you coming to
Kalamazoo?"  For example, recently the first six messages of the day were
private messages; those messages included the original posts (compounded
with each posting) and comprised a quarter of the digest.  (N.b.: Given the
way Listserv mail is displayed by some mailers, these posters may have had
no idea they were responding to the list; it is precisely this kind of
innocent error that we hope the change will avoid.)"

Many times I have pointed out (offline) to offenders who include the
original post  in their reply the havoc that that causes to the list
especially to those receiving digest, and to listserv archives. I would
rather see a change such that each poster receives a copy of their posting
and/or the message that their post was successfully posted to the list. I
have those settings currently. It has proved useful when I have
inadvertently replied to the list rather than the individual. Raise your
hands those who are aware of these settings.

The following link is especially helpful. Every subscriber should have it
bookmarked on their browser. Why? because it allows you to change your
individual subscription settings.
http://listserv.muohio.edu/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?SUBED1=archives&A=1

I would rather see the committee point out to the newbies and habitual
offenders the errors of their ways rather than impose a draconian solution.
Or better yet is it possible that repeat offenders/newbies are put on
moderated status until they conform to the list's requirements.

Another problem (once again IMHO) is the failure of new subscribers to fully
introduce themselves and for the like of signature lines with names and
email addresses shown.

Finally the list has a larger problem in that subscribers still post
attachments to the list. Currently recmgmt-l strips out all attachments from
postings to prevent viruses from hitting the list. Recmgmt-l uses the same
software I believe, but I don't know the version.

Of course the committee could set up a survey using the following service
(www.zoomerang.com) and poll all the subscribers for their opinion and not
rely just on those who took the time to voice their opinion.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia