Re: Exhibit Cases

Hello, Bridget:

This question must have come up at least three or four times in the last
year, and your catalog shopping experience is typical. None of the
"off-the-rack" vendors really make very handsome cases.

One alternative is to look up merchandise display case manufacturers as
these tend to design slightly better looking cabinets and cases, many of
which are more or less portable, and often lockable. Depending on your
budget, you may want to consider looking into gently-used merchandise cases
(sometimes a rarity...you just have to go look in used store display dealer
showrooms). These  can often be much less expensive than new. There might be
several dealers in your area. If you find something, you might have to have
a cabinetmaker add some vents or alter (or add) the locks. I've had some
pretty good experiences going this direction when at my last (museum)
employer.

I also ditto Bridget's answer. There's nothing like custom, but the price
can be quite high. Portability may or may not affect the pricing on custom
cases.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives