Re: "Underpaid...and not Well Understood"

Can't attend the workshop, but I will say that my feeling is that the real
problem lies in the isolation of archives.

I'm not one of those people who believe in indiscriminate "outreach," but it
seem to me that the reason that archivists are so often paid less (and
respected less) than librarians is that they don't interact with their
co-workers very often.  This is always a problem, since there is usually
only one archivist at a given institution, while there are several
librarians or computer people or what-not.

Much of the long-term solution may therefore lie in aggressive participation
in committees and group projects.  No doubt this is distasteful for many of
us, who have self-selected our isolated position.  But you get what you pay
for.

John

PS--I shouldn't call my statement a "lament."   Perhaps "a pithy comment"?

John Howard Fowler
Consulting Archivist
3221 W. 177th St.
Torrance CA 90504-4003